Is this possible: scoping question with exec

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Fri Aug 24 15:20:27 EDT 2001

>From the Python Reference Manual:

6.13 The exec statement

exec_stmt:    "exec" expression ["in" expression ["," expression]]

This statement supports dynamic execution of Python code. The first
expression should evaluate to either a string, an open file object, or a
code object. If it is a string, the string is parsed as a suite of Python
statements which is then executed (unless a syntax error occurs). If it is
an open file, the file is parsed until EOF and executed. If it is a code
object, it is simply executed.
-----------------------

As far as it being effectively the same as eval, it looks like that to me,
but someone else will have to explain what differences there may be.  I get
similar results for all of:

>>> exec(a.func_code, {'b':4})
4
>>> eval(a.func_code, {'b':4})