Python on the Smalltalk VM [Was: Typing system vs. Java]

Scott Langley langles at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 3 15:53:44 EDT 2001

Here's what I dug up on this topic:

The SmallScript.net web site says that the first public beta will now
appear this month, August 2001.

And, selectively quoting from this message by David Simmons:

 http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&th=df8e1896d4ca941f,38&rnum=2&selm=bq%25F6.22782%24Jh5.22352484%40news1.rdc1.sfba.home.com

"...the AOS Platform has been developed and tested for dynamic (and
dynamically typed) languages and is geared as an adaptive virtual
machine jitting model...
As to Python specifically, I want to stress that work is currently
focused on delivering the .NET, PPC, and x86 platform versions...
Once the other pieces are in place, more attention will be focused on
work in Python and PHP...
As an aside, the execution performance numbers for
SmallScript/Smalltalk are directly indicative of the level of
performance one could expect for Python or PHP on the same platform."

--
Scott Langley
sl at scottlangley.com
http://www.scottlangley.com