wxPython Or Tkinter Advise PLEASEEEEEEEEE

Chris Barker chrishbarker at home.net
Tue Aug 14 13:43:09 EDT 2001

Clive Page wrote:

> >> "Why the hell hasn't wxPython become the standard GUI for Python yet?"
> >>
> >> -- Eric S. Raymond
>
> I think it's because it's so darned difficult to build and install.

This is really kind of a chicken-egg problem. Many of the advantages
that people have stated about TK essentially boil down to the fact that
it is the "standard" GUI for Python: It comes with the main Python
library, it is introduced in all the books, etc. So, essentially, what
we are saying is:

"TKinter is the standard GUI for Python because it is the standard GUI
for Python."

I think there is a little more to it than that:

TKinter has been around a lot longer that wxPython (which is why it was
established as a semi-standard in the first place)

wxPython is under far more active development: new versions come out
faster that new versions of Python. Personally, I think it is stable
enought to be part of the standard library now, but it wasn't a couple
of years ago.

There are a couple of missing elements still: a good interactive Canvas
being the most obvious, I'm sure there are others. (to be fair, wx has a
number of nice high level widgets that TK doesn't, most notably the
wxGrid)

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,