Is it new style or just lack of style?

John Schmitt jschmitt at vmlabs.com
Fri Aug 3 13:50:35 EDT 2001

[...]

Not in my case it isn't.  I love that formatting style.  It seems that I can
see what's what with just a quick glance.

Whitespace is beautiful and my code is art! :-)

>From my web page ( http://www.geocities.com/nuonguy/ ):

"We should be willing to look at the source code we produce not as the
end product of a more interesting process, but as an artifact in its
own right. It should look good stuck up on the wall."
   - Alan & Colston's "The Programmer's Stone"

if __name__ == '__main__':
	sys.exit( main( sys.argv[0], sys.argv[1:] ) )

Function definitions can also be made more beautiful.  I've always done this
kind of thing in C way before the blessed day I encountered Python.

If I have a function that takes a few arguments, I lay it out like this:

def foo\
(
    argument1,    # meaninful comments
    argument2,
):
    # more beautiful code here

or in C, line up the types and variables in easy-to-read columns:

void foo
(
    DataType       meaninful_variable,  // meaninful comment goes here
    int            var1,                // meaninful comment goes here
    char           var2,                // meaninful comment goes here
    OpaqueDataType var3                 // meaninful comment goes here
)
{
    // more beautful code
}