Problems compiling Python 2.1.1 on SCO OpenServer 5.0.4

Edward Hooper ehooper at princesscruises.com
Thu Aug 23 14:14:59 EDT 2001

I've managed to compile Python 2.1.1 on SCO OpenServer 5.0.4 (with GCC
2.95.2pl1 with the SCO libraries and headers) but I had to modify the
Makefile, several source files, and even some SCO and GCC header files
to get a clean build.

However, the makefile wants to build *ALL* of the modules as sharable
object binaries even though *shared* is commented out of Modules/Setup
and many of the modules are commented out so they won't build.  I've
traced it to a Python script called setup.py.  For some reason this
script is called after Python has been built, and ignores Setup since
I didn't want to build _cursesmodule and this script insists on doing
it.  Is the script buggy?

I don't know Python that well, I'm just building it to get _tkinter
since the Python package (version 1.5.2) available from SCO doesn't
support it.  <sigh>

Thanks in advance,

Edward Hooper