Installing mod_python.dll under Apache

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Tue Aug 21 06:29:10 EDT 2001

"Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams" <ignacio at openservices.net> wrote in message
> I took a look at mod_python myself because I was interested in not having
the
> interpreter loaded each time. What I discovered was that mod_python does
NOT

http://www.modpython.org/live/mod_python-2.7.6/doc-html/tut-what-it-do.html
> and take a look at the part at the bottom that reads 'Some food for
thought'.

Yes, but typically your handler script would examine the request and
dispatch
to whatever script is appropriate for serving that request.  In simple
cases where what you want is similar to what PHP gives you, you would
in particular use mod_python.publisher, as explained a couple of pages
ahead in that same document,
http://www.modpython.org/live/mod_python-2.7.6/doc-html/tut-pub.html.

Or, to migrate legacy CGI scripts,
http://www.modpython.org/live/mod_python-2.7.6/doc-html/hand-cgi.html.

> I have been thinking of using FastCGI instead, but haven't got around to
it
> yet.

Sure, FastCGI may be an excellent idea, particularly if you
also want to speed up other servers and/or script in other
languages -- it ties you neither to Python, nor to Apache,
As I'm sure you know (but just in case...;-) you get a choice
of serialized requests with Robin Dunn's fcgi.py at
http://alldunn.com/python/fcgi.py, or thread-per-request
with Andreas Jung's fcgi_wrapper.py (in addition to fcgi.py) at
http://www.suxers.de/python/fcgi.htm.

Alex