Creating pdf invoices with python

Dinu Gherman dinu at reportlab.com
Thu Aug 9 03:32:03 EDT 2001

On 08 Aug 2001 17:43:37 -0400, Andrew Kuchling
<akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> wrote in comp.lang.python:

>William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> writes:
>> On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 11:12:22PM +0300, Joonas Paalasmaa wrote:
>> > How can I create pdf invoices with Python.
>> > I think reportlab can do the job, but i couldn't find any invoice
>> > examples
>>
>> I'm aware of any Python module that deals with PDF.  Your best bet may
>> be Python script to generate LaTeX file.
>
>Reportlab is a set of Python modules for generating PDF files, but
>unfortunately the documentation is sparse and there are few large
>examples of code using Reportlab.  The original questioner would be
>better off asking for help on the Reportlab mailing list than on the
>main Python list.
>
>--amk

ReportLab is a multi-layer package of PDF creating solutions,
mostly targeted at mission-critical business applications. Ok,
so much for the marketing. ;-)

The good news first: ReportLab can be used (and is used) in
tiny applications like for writing your own invoices (I also
do that), as well as in large scale e-business environments.
See this as a live online example running on a customer's
site:

  http://www.keyfeatures.fidelity.co.uk/

The other news is that www.ReportLab.com has just started
a major site revamping operation, which is why some demos
might not work right now. This should all be back to normal
in a short while, and with more examples! Please be patient!

The documentation: it's being worked on right now and it's
under constant improvement. All suggestions, especially the
more specific ones, are welcome, of course.

And finally, as Andrew said, the ReportLab users mailing
list is probably really a better place to get more instant
feedback, also from other users, on any particular issues
or questions. You find it here:

Have fun! (I'm sure you will!)

Dinu

--