Reference counting garbage collection

Frederic Giacometti frederic.giacometti at arakne.com
Thu Aug 23 21:43:23 EDT 2001

"Paul Rubin" <phr-n2001 at nightsong.com> wrote in message
news:7xae0q2vu4.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com...
> Erno Kuusela <erno-news at erno.iki.fi> writes:
> > on the other hand it is also worth keeping in mind that back then
> > there were no caches in cpus, whereas todays cpu caches as big as main
> > memories were then (and see very good hit rates).
>
> We run bigger applications now than we did then.  Otherwise we wouldn't
> find ourselves buying so much dram.

And we do much more sloppy programming than we used to do (and we
occasionaly run automated garbage collectors...).
Microsoft Office requires now 600 MB disk and 64 MB RAM, the barebone .NET
SDK requires 500 MB disk,  the barebone Java SDK requires 60 MB disk and
some RAM. Python, with its 5 MB disk installation is really lost in that
crowd...