choice between quotes thoughts

Markus Schaber markus at schabi.de
Sun Aug 12 11:59:05 EDT 2001

Hi,

Am Sonntag 12 August 2001 17:12 schrieb François Pinard:
> [Markus Schaber]
>
> > I just use "..." for strings and '...' chars (Strings containing
> > one char - this comes from Java where Chars can be given this way),
>
> It might not be a good thing transporting all style habits from one
> language to another.  In C or Java, it is true you did not have the
> choice. In Python, you could put the acquired freedom to good use,
> instead of forever and patiently pulling your prisoner's bullet with
> you :-).

Well - sometimes I just want to express that I want a single char, as
opposite to a string with length 1. So I use the freedom to choose
between two possibilities to express this, and to not have to learn a
new style.

> I quite understand that writing styles are acquired with
> non-negligible efforts, and grow their own worth because of this.
> So, it is only normal trying to recycle the most we can from them
> when wandering between languages. On the other hand, some distance
> between styles for various languages does help avoiding
> cross-confusion, it eases your own "context switching" as a
> programmer, by having it more marked and less fuzzy.

My context-switching is fully triggered by the great absence of type-
and variable declarations just as {}s for code blocks. :-)

markus

--
1) Customers cause problems.
2) Marketing is trying to create more customers.