CMM certified companies (was Re: Q: Code Review Checklist?)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Aug 4 13:59:31 EDT 2001

Roman Suzi wrote:

> ... PSP seem to be some kind of personal
> SEI CMM. AFAIK, there is only one or two companies which are toplevel
> in CMM. IIRC, Motorola is/was one of them.

IIRC, CMM certification applies to specific groups, *not* to every
development group throughout an organization.  I do know that
Motorola is *not* level 5 CMM throughout.  One of their development
groups in India is, but in no way is the entire company level 5.

(I've also heard rumors that that particular group was certified
level 5 effectively before they had finished any projects, and
once they really got going the whole thing fell apart.  I have
no proof of this, but were it true it would imply that CMM
certification, as with ISO 9001, can be used to show that the
documented process meets precise requirements while providing
no practical value or assurance of success.)

As far as I know, no group in Motorola uses Python in any
significant way.  (A pathetic attempt to keep this on-topic. :-)

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com