COM/CORBA/DCOP (was: Hello people. I have some questions)

Bruce Sass bsass at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Fri Aug 31 15:02:54 EDT 2001

On 31 Aug 2001, Paul Rubin wrote:
> "Alex Martelli" <aleax at aleax.it> writes:
> > The doubts come mainly from Python considerations - it's very easy
> > to drive/automate Microsoft Office via Python, but I still haven't
> > managed to do the same for StarOffice; if it does have COM at all,
> > it's a strange object model, and I can't find good docs, examples,
> > etc.  Admittedly I haven't looked very deeply.  But maybe they're
> > not COM- centric *because* they're portable... it's easier for MS
> > (they do have COM on the Mac too, although I think it's not
> > available to 3rd parties).
>
> There's a faction (Gnome) trying to automate GNU/Linux desktop apps
> with CORBA, which is like COM only fancier.  I don't know of any
> attempts yet to gnomify Star Office though.

Another faction (KDE) has DCOP.  They started out using CORBA, iirc,
but then went their own way.  Is DCOP even fancier than CORBA, or
are they just being different?.  Is it possible to get COM, CORBA, and
DCOP to talk to each other?

I'm hoping Alex M. gets his Linux systems setup soon and starts
delving into the matter.

- Bruce