Followup of the compatibility issue of smtplib

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Aug 5 23:46:07 EDT 2001

> Dirksen Lau wrote:
>
> As Steve suggested, I run my script in debug mode, but don't find anything
> unusual(the mail still doesn't get to the destination). I attach the dubug
> log below, and please point out the trouble spot:
[...]
> send: 'data \015\012'
> reply: '354 Ok Send data ending with <CRLF>.<CRLF>\015\012'
> reply: retcode (354); Msg: Ok Send data ending with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
> data: (354, 'Ok Send data ending with <CRLF>.<CRLF>')
> send: 'achee'
> send: '\015\012.\015\012'

Maybe the server is just being "smart" and knows that it is
pointless to send a message with no valid header tags, and
no valid body!  (Header tags must be of the form "tag: stuff"
and the body is separated from the headers by a blank line.)

I suggest again that you try following *my* suggestion :-)
and connect manually, with Telnet.  Once you can successfully
send a message manually, go back and try to use Python to
generate the same conversation.  Until then, no point blaming
Python when you have no idea who is really at fault...

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com