Python equivalent of Archive::Tar?

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Mon Aug 13 11:09:40 EDT 2001

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Tom Robinson wrote:

> Is there a python equivalent of this perl module?  I specifically want
> to be able to create a tar file in memory by reading in the files for
> it and then write it out to a web browser.  I've managed to acheive
> this in perl by using Archive::Tar, has anyone written a similar
> library for python?  I had a quick search but "tar" always turns up a
> huge amount of unwanted results. :)

There is no such... and several!

tarlib is old and I have not tried it.
TarIO from PIL (Python Imaging Library) is for reading TARs
and
ztar
from Zope is for creating them (look in archives of this group
to find who has it).

I wish archive_tar was available as sstandard Python
module. If written, it will be no more than 8Kb of Python code.

Sincerely yours, Roman A.Suzi
--
 - Petrozavodsk - Karelia - Russia - mailto:rnd at onego.ru -