Python 2.x on Debian stable

Radovan Garabik spam at melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk
Thu Aug 2 14:54:38 EDT 2001

Carl Fink <carlf at panix.com> wrote:
 : I asked about this on the debian-user mailing list and got no answers
 : at all, not a good sign, but:  has anyone installed Python 2.1 or
 : later on a Potato system?  There are no .deb files that I can locate
 : I've installed quite a bit of software outside the Debian packaging
 : system, but I'm leery of fiddling with Python because dpkg/apt *uses*

 are you *sure* ? I see no reason why would dpkg or apt (both written in C)
 require python

 : Python, and if 2.1 breaks dpkg I'm screwed.  So I'm wondering if
 : anyone has actual experience and pointers?

I did install Activestate python 2.0 on potato (and later 2.1, but that
was already woody). It is clearly separated from debian system, so it
should not impose any problems.

You can try http://people.debian.org/~flight/python/snapshot/python2.1/
for preliminary python2.1 real debian packages, but those are for
woody and will probably mess up with your dependencies a lot.

My advice is to try Activestate python.

| Radovan Garabik  http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik |
| __..--^^^--..__         garabik @ fmph . uniba . sk       |