Windows and file input in Python

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri Aug 31 09:36:26 EDT 2001

"Piotr Legiecki" <piotrlg at sci.pam.szczecin.pl> wrote in message
news:9mntda$dch$1 at zeus.man.szczecin.pl...
> > Cygwin also currently comes with the latest released Python, 2.1.1 ...
> > enabled for readline, etc, all nice and Unix-like!-)  Recommended!!!
>
> Ok. Where can I find the cygwin distribution of python? I'v looked around
> the www.cygwin.com sites, but with no luck.

Choose any mirror (see http://www.cygwin.com/mirrors.html),
e.g. ftp://sunsite.icm.edu.pl/pub/cygnus/cygwin/, and see
its subdirectory contrib/python: it should include both
python-2.1-1.tar.gz and python-2.1-1-src.tar.gz (there
are also versions with .bz2 instead of .gz, almost 20%
smaller, if you have bunzip2 around -- if you don't, my
suggestion is to *GET IT* -- it will save you considerable
bandwidth when downloading stuff that supports it, including
the Cygwin stuff:-).

Alex