FEEDBACK WANTED: Type/class unification

Christian Tanzer tanzer at swing.co.at
Thu Aug 2 02:05:25 EDT 2001

>     Christian> arg-name   pro                             con
>     Christian> -------------------------------------------------------------
>     Christian> class      obvious meaning                 clash with keyword

>     Christian> As the first argument can immediately signify a class method
>     Christian> if the same name is used by everybody it would be nice if an
>     Christian> uncontentious name popped up.
>
> I just noticed this thread.  Perhaps it's already been suggested, but I
> think Python's parser could easily be modified to recognize "class" as the
> first parameter in a method function's argument list.  There has been talk
> in python-dev off-and-on about relaxing Python's keywords-can't-be-names
> rules.  This might be a good time to revisit it.

That would be great. Of course, its not only the argument list --
you'd like to use `class` in the body of the function, too. Would that
be easily possible, too?

--
Christian Tanzer                                         tanzer at swing.co.at
Glasauergasse 32                                       Tel: +43 1 876 62 36