Python COM local server as .exe possible?

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Tue Aug 21 08:49:31 EDT 2001

Wayne wrote:

> "Bill Bell" <bill-bell at bill-bell.hamilton.on.ca> wrote in message
> news:<mailman.998258369.14350.python-list at python.org>...
>> Can someone tell if I can expect to do this conversion with py2exe,
>> freeze or another products of this kind?

[snip]

> I don't know if I understood what you are trying to do, create an .exe
> from your .py COM server?  I used Standalone.py when I need to make a
> .exe, it should work with COM and the win32 extensions.

Release 4 makes it easy to to COM *clients* (although I plan on
cleaning up the code that does this in the near future), including
the EnsureModule stuff (generating dynamically on the client).

COM *servers* are a completely different story.

You can do them (with Standalone and py2exe), but you need to
rewrite most of the top-level code in the server (the register /
unregister / invoke stuff), because most of Mark's "automatic"
code doesn't work unless the server is a script.

Thomas Heller posted an example of how to do it with py2exe
sometime this spring. Something similar works with Standalone.

> http://starship.python.net/crew/gmcm/distribute.html

My starship pages are hideously out of date. Use

http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/

- Gordon