Python vs PHP

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ignacio at openservices.net
Thu Aug 30 14:28:07 EDT 2001

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Gillou wrote:

> > You say it uses a "heavy" dedicated client. What do you mean by that?
>
> A serie of back-office tools (sync with production traditional system) that
> don't execute through a browser (console or traditional GUI or croned blind
> apps)

Ugh. You don't necessarily want PHP for that. PHP is fine when the normal GET
and POST methods are used, but if you're just going to use HTTP to pass data
back and forth then you're better off using something that has a better
concept of "standard input". PHP can use "f=open('php://stdin')", but I would
prefer to use Python. You also may end up finding that PHP runs into limits
which Python would just breeze over.

IOW, PHP is great where there is a browser. There's no browser in this case,
so just pass over it.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams  <ignacio at openservices.net>