Typing system vs. Java

Michael Abbott michael at rcp.co.uk
Thu Aug 2 10:14:54 EDT 2001

[posted and mailed]

Alex, I'd like to say more in response to your very interesting message
below, but it's difficult to know where to begin.  I agree wholeheartedly
with your sentiments, but I'm wondering if you're aware of just how
difficult what you're describing is to achieve!?

For example, there is a type system known as Coq (http://coq.inria.fr/)
which uses a type system similar in spirit to what you describe (but Coq is
oriented towards the automation of formal mathematical proofs).  Coq is
based upon dependent types, and demonstrates that type checking of the sort
you are talking about is, in principle, at least as difficult as solving an
arbitrary mathematical problem!  Also, it has to be said that expressing
mathematics in Coq is *very* hard work (formalising the "fundamental
theorem of algebra", ie, the result that polynomials over C have roots, was
worth several PhDs recently).

I also remember a recent language in a similar spirit (don't have the
reference to hand) where a two-level language was developed: one level for
expressing programs, the other level for expressing assertions about
programs (and building proofs of those assertions, if I recall correctly).

I'm of the opinion that work on dependent types is the way forwards, but
there are some big (gigantic?) obstacles to be overcome first...

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote in
news:9kb8mq02bd2 at enews1.newsguy.com: