getting rid of data movement instructions

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Tue Aug 21 04:15:10 EDT 2001

"Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message
news:3B81B216.570AA8C1 at engcorp.com...
> Also re-expressed as one of the principles of Goldratt's
> "Theory of Constraints".
>
> 5. Don't let INERTIA become the system's constraint. Once
> you have "broken" a constraint, go back to Step One!
>
> (see http://www.constraintsmanagement.com/history/ )

Don't use this line of reasoning too much in Italy these
days -- it was the main theme of an advertising campaign
last year (I forget for what product, which tells you
something about the effectiveness of advertising) which
starred the head of engineering of the Mercedes/McLaren
Formula-1 racing team (winners of the '98 and '99 World
Champtionships).  With Ferrari edging out McLaren for
first place last year, and winning easily and far in
advance this year (and also BMW/Williams apparently
much in the ascendant wrt Mercedes/McLaren), that line
of "obsessive research of perfection one bottleneck at
a time" is temporarily disgraced around here:-).

Alex