Probably a stupid question... name-->method lookup

Joseph Andrew Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 22 17:01:55 EDT 2001

I have a method name (string) and a class object. I'd like to
be able to look up the the named unbound method of the class.
I know that TheClass.__dict__[<methodname>] will kinda
work, but it will fail if <methodname> is implemented only in
a base class of TheClass. I could do the Python method lookup
dance via __bases__ etc., but I'd be surprised if there weren't
already a standard function to do it. Sadly, perusal of the
tutorial, library reference, language reference (briefly),
and FAQ has thus far been unenlightening. Pointers
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

--
# Joe Knapka
# Member, GFAPOOA (Global Front Against Promulgation Of Obscurantist