Reference counting garbage collection

kosh kosh at aesaeion.com
Wed Aug 22 17:21:50 EDT 2001

Paul Rubin wrote:

<snip>
> I guess that might be the case, at least with the current body of
> Python programs.  I'm thinking of Python's implementation in terms of
> whether it's suitable for large, long-running programs, and it's
> not clear whether anyone really writes those in Python.

Actually zope is a long running large python program. I usually have it
running for a few weeks to a few months at a time and it normally used
between 40M to 120M depending on what is going on. From what I have seen
the python system does seem to work nicely for large long running programs
so long as you don't run them on windows. For some reason from what I have
seen zope will destabilize on windows after running for a while. Sometimes
it just slows down but more often it seems to die. On a unix system it
seems to just keep going indefinitely in my experience. There are some
discussion a while ago in this group about windows vm fragmentation and
that could be the problem on windows.
<snip>