Tkinter on IRIX and Linux

Mats Wichmann mats at laplaza.org
Wed Aug 22 11:07:54 EDT 2001

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:52:53 +0200, Heiko Wundram <heikowu at ceosg.de>
wrote:

:On Tuesday 21 August 2001 06:39, you wrote:
:> I compiled Python 2.0 on IRIX and Linux. Neither of them supports
:> tkinter. When I import Tkinter:
:>
:> [error message removed...]
:>
:
:What you are seeing is that when you compiled Python 2.0 you didn't have Tk
:installed in a place where it is found (that means in --include-dir) by the
:module when that one was compiled by make.
:
:What you have to do is:
:
:1. check whether you have Tk installed (by trying to run 'wish' as
:superuser).

Hmmm, preferably not.

On many systems - I haven't been watching SGI for a few years now but
I imagine they probably do it too - the PATH for superuser is
different, and may not include the path to the Tk bits.  Use the
superuser account to /install/ software only, do the build as an
ordinary user.

The rough steps to worry about (others have posted most of the rest of
the recipe):

1. Make sure Tcl/TK are installed and working by running "wish" as an
ordinary user.
2. If not, go find the SGI inst packages for these and install, or
build from source.
3. Run the Python configure script *as the same user*.
4. If not attempting Python 2.1 or later, go edit the modules/setup
file and uncomment the tkinter-specific parts.
5. Build Python
6. Do the "make install" as superuser.

Mats Wichmann

(Anti-spam stuff: to reply remove the "xyz" from the
address xyzmats at laplaza.org. Not that it helps much...)