No default xml parsers?

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at idi.ntnu.no
Thu Aug 9 19:02:22 EDT 2001

Must support for xml (xml.dom and xml.sax) be compiled
in, or is there some default parser somewhere?
I'm using 2.2a, but can't get things to work...

Python 2.2a1 (#4, Aug  8 2001, 20:43:39)
[GCC 2.8.1] on sunos5
>>> from xml import sax
>>> parser = sax.make_parser()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/home/idi/f/mlh/python/current/Lib/xml/sax/__init__.py", line 88, in
 make_parser
    raise SAXReaderNotAvailable("No parsers found", None)
xml.sax._exceptions.SAXReaderNotAvailable: No parsers found

Are there no pure-Python parsers (except in xmllib)? I care
more about "out-of-the-box'ness" than performance here...
(I see that my Windows Python creates an Expat parser, but
I guess that's not compiled in by default...)

Of course, xmllib is probably fine, but since it's deprecated
I'm reluctant to use it.

(Even xml.dom.minidom doesn't work; how about a dumbdom or
dumbsax or something, like dumbdbm?)

--

  Magnus Lie Hetland         http://www.hetland.org

 "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in
  it, doesn't go away."           -- Philip K. Dick