Typing system vs. Java

Andy Todd andy_todd at spam.free.yahoo.com
Wed Aug 1 19:48:45 EDT 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote in
<9k95fh0q0n at enews2.newsguy.com>:

>"Christopher Barber" <cbarber at curl.com> wrote in message
>news:pso66c9rpo8.fsf at jekyll.curl.com...
>> > What is a real world problem that would not have existed if Python
>> > had strict compile-time checking, and how common is such a problem?
>>
>> Here is a real-world problem: a developer wants to use a language with
>> compile-time type checking and rejects Python because it doesn't have
>> it.
>
>Why is this "a problem"?  Counterexample: a developer wants
>to use a language with an 'e' in the language's name and rejects
>Python because it has no 'e' in its name.  Should we therefore
>rename Python to 'Pethon' to "solve this problem"?
>
>Each developer or development organization can freely choose
>whatever constraint he/she/it/they prefer regarding their
>programming tools.  If this it a problem, it's *HIS* (her,
>its, their) problem, not Python's.  It would be silly and
>self-defeating if Python tried to match such constraints just
>because they are posed as constraints.
>
>If it's worth for Python to have an 'e' in its name, it must
>be because using that letter has intrinsic value within the
>logic of Python, so, you should be arguing about that
>intrinsic value, not about "marketing" advantages that
>may stem from having it, if you want to speak "real world".

Ladies and gentlemen, our quote of the week (so far), is;

>Marketing, by definition, isn't about the real world - it's
>about successfully projecting a fantasy in the minds of
>people with deep-enough pockets to make you rich:-).

<flame bait>
and yet, if no one claims to believe marketing why are Bill, Scott and
Larry so rich?
</flame bait>

At which point I believe it is pertinent for me to run away.

[snipping far too much interesting stuff about why static typing is a
crutch and you should really write your own code properly <wink> ]

>Alex

Regards,
Andy

--