exec* exiting?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Tue Aug 21 06:38:08 EDT 2001

"Thorsten Roskowetz" <rossi at earthling.net> wrote in message
news:9lt8n7$bau$05$1 at news.t-online.com...
> "Alex Martelli" <aleax at aleax.it> wrote:
>
> > some exhibition of hubris in that realm might also show
> > you exactly why the very use of the word 'lame' as a generic
> > insult, while alas all too common, is also insensitive and
> > degrading to people who have problems walking...
>
> Using "lame" as a way of describing something as "lacking
> needful or desirable substance" <a lame excuse> is not only
> common but a perfectly acceptable use of the word (Webster
> does not list this as slang).  Might not fit everyones taste
> for political correctness though...

I fully agree, except that politics has nothing to do with
it, as I see things -- it's rather a matter of sensitiveness
to other people's feelings, and respect for their humanness,
rather than one of either politics or 'correctness'.

If you don't care whether you hurt the feelings of people
who have done absolutely nothing wrong, please go ahead
and keep using the language style you prefer -- as long as
you're fully aware of your choices, who am I to begrudge
them to you?  Just as long as you _do_ it deliberately out
of callousness, rather than being unaware of the issues...

Alex