PyGTK - 1.5.2 not 2.1x

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ignacio at openservices.net
Sun Aug 26 12:55:42 EDT 2001

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Adam 'Vonlia' Seyfarth wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>
> >     Adam> OK, after the site-packages searching, I found no match for
> >     Adam> "*gtk*" in /usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/ but lots of
> >     Adam> matches for "*gtk*" in /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages Does this
> >     Adam> mean I copy them over?  I'll try that, I don't think it could hurt
> >     Adam> anything...
> >
> > Probably won't work, but I guess it's worth a try.  Much of PyGtk is C code,
> > which would have to be recompiled for 2.1.
>
> I don't know whether you are the person that has been responding before,
> but I heard that 2 variables have to be changed to compile with 2.1.  He
> wouldn't tell me which ones, and when I searched for version with case
> insensitivity on, I found PYTHON_VERSION = 1.5 and changed it to 2.1.
> It still won't do anything with python2.1...
>
> TIA

I've been crunching the aclocal.m4 script (boy are those things ugly...) and
here's what I've found:

It searches for the python interpreter in the following order:
  python, python2.1, python2.0, python1.6, python1.5
then it runs it and pulls out its version. So you have to link python to the
correct one, and then run configure.

I just tested that on my system and it seems to work.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams  <ignacio at openservices.net>