Any comments? My draft of a new PEP.

Rainer Deyke root at rainerdeyke.com
Sat Aug 18 13:38:43 EDT 2001

"Courageous" <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> wrote in message
news:3q5tnt8frcsm04at4d40mtnvt9p3avrkji at 4ax.com...
> static                      Would rather gouge my eyes out. We already
have
>                                 class- and module- level attributes. The
only possible
>                                 use for it is method- and function- level
statics which are
>                                 bad programming practice and "not very
OO," imo.

Maybe 'static' would be used for something totally different, like to tell
the interpreter that dynamism is not needed in a certain context.

def static f(): pass
f.attribute = 1 # Error: 'f' declared immutable by keyword 'static'.

Not that that's necessarily a good idea, but don't confuse the word "static"
with a specific feature in another language.

--
Rainer Deyke (root at rainerdeyke.com)
Shareware computer games           -           http://rainerdeyke.com