Building Python as a shared lib plugin.

Chachkoff Yann yann.chachkoff at mailandnews.com
Tue Aug 28 23:00:03 EDT 2001

Le Mardi 28 Août 2001 16:16, vous avez écrit :
> >  I get the following error:
> >  ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.0/lib-dynload/structmodule.so: undefined
> >  symbol: PyString_Type
> >
> >  Following my searches, it seems that I need to tell the linker to export
> >  all symbols of the dynamic symbol table, so I tried to add
> > -export-dynamic (or -E) in the main making line, but it does not work.
> > What should I do ? Anyone has an idea ?

> Section 5.2 of the Extending and Embedding the Python Interpreter says:

<snip>

> The '-Xlinker' tells gcc to pass '-export-dynamic' to ld. gcc itself seems
> to ignore it otherwise.

I of course tried this first (I always read manuals before working). It does
not work. I tried the following one:

$(CC) $(FLAGS) -shared -Wl,-soname,plugin_python.so.0 $(OBJECTS)
../common/libcross.a -Xlinker -export-dynamic
/usr/lib/python2.0/config/libpython2.0.a -lpthread -lutil -ldmalloc -o
plugin_python.so.0.1

Maybe I'm completely wrong or simply dumb. But I passed the correct options
to gcc and it simply does not solve the problem. (Thanx for trying to help
anyway)

Chachkoff Y.