wxPython Or Tkinter Advise PLEASEEEEEEEEE

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Tue Aug 14 14:55:20 EDT 2001

"Alexander V. Voinov" <avv at quasar.ipa.nw.ru> wrote in message
news:3B7961E3.B62804C3 at quasar.ipa.nw.ru...
> Hi All,
>
> Robert Amesz wrote:
>
> > Russell E. Owen wrote:
> >
> > > They both work, so I think you'll do fine either way.
> > >
> > > Here are some considerations. I have used Tk much more than Wx, so
> > > have much less to say about Wx. Contributions would be most
> > > welcome.
> > >
> > > Tk:
> > > + runs on more different platforms (e.g. Mac) than Wx and is more
> > > mature
> >
> > I don't know all that much about Tkinter, but from what I've seen
> > Tkinter programs are somewhat smaller than their wxPython counterparts.
> > However, it seems that from wxPython you have more control over some
> > things.
>
> In general wxPython provides a rather thin if at all layer over the
> original C++ functionality, with few exceptions (like Python applets in
the
> html view widget) which may not be in the everyday use by everybody.
> Closely following the lines of the underlying toolkit is good for some
> users but is bad for the others. Anyway everybody has a choice.

PythonCard provides a layer over wxPython specifically so that the user
(programmer) doesn't have to see or deal with C++ or wxPython issues. If you
want really small programs, try PythonCard where the GUI component
descriptions are broken out into resource files to avoid mixing code with
widget creation and even the event binding is handled automatically for you,
which makes for really small and easy to read programs. If you need to, you
can even fall back and mix in plain wxPython code when the PythonCard
framework doesn't provide the functionality you want.

ka