OT: Map generation/plotting

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Wed Aug 1 19:02:35 EDT 2001

This is mildly off-topic, except to the extent that I want to use
Python in the application.

Does anyone have experience with or pointers to libraries or utilities
that would simplify the job of displaying maps and translating
locations (aka lat/long) to the map for highlighting?  Think along the
lines of a network status display where maps of portions of the world
(US, Canada, Europe, etc..) were display along with indicators for
currently active locations.

I've found a few spots around with some searching (located a zip code
to lat/long database, and the Parc map generator which I may want to
use to generate GIF maps with known lat/long boundaries), but I'm
wondering if there's anything available that might already have
covered more of the standard mapping activities.

Thanks.

--
-- David