Suggestions for simple persistance in a web app?

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ignacio at openservices.net
Sat Aug 25 01:03:04 EDT 2001

On 24 Aug 2001, Kevin Dahlhausen wrote:

> I'm getting ready to experiment with Webware.  I'd like to use a
> simple database or somewhat efficient persistant store as I'll be
> using the CGI-one shot version of webware and don't want to also have
> to load a complete database into memory.  So, mysql, postgress, and
> such are too heavy. I'll be lucky to find a way to run Webware on an
> isp's site anyway.  Are there any alternative database libraries for
> python out there?  SQL's ok, python objects to disk in some rational
> way would work too, if I could load them without pulling every object
> into memory first.  Thanks

I don't know if a module exists for it, but you could use some sort of shared
memory for what you want.

Also, I'm curious as to why you say that you can't use a database server. You
mention "loading a complete database into memory". That's what the database
server is for. It's probably faster than using DBM or files on-disk. Please
explain what you mean.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams  <ignacio at openservices.net>