Python 2.x on Debian stable

Neil Schemenauer nas at python.ca
Thu Aug 2 14:32:36 EDT 2001

Carl Fink wrote:
> I asked about this on the debian-user mailing list and got no answers
> at all, not a good sign, but:  has anyone installed Python 2.1 or
> later on a Potato system?  There are no .deb files that I can locate
> to do so.

Python installs nicely into /usr/local on Debian machines.  One thing to
watch out for is that some Debian scripts use "/usr/bin/env python" and
expect to get the Debian packaged version of Python.  You can either
remove the /usr/local/bin/python link and use python2.1 or make sure
that /usr/local/bin/python is not first in the path when those
scripts are run.

  Neil