Typing system vs. Java

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Aug 10 09:30:05 EDT 2001

"Christopher Barber" <cbarber at curl.com> wrote in message
news:psoy9os5a88.fsf at jekyll.curl.com...
[ ... ]

> But why can't Python be fast enough without resorting to extensions?
Forcing
> users to learn C in order to make their Python code fast detracts from
> Python's advantage as a simple, easy-to-use language.

[ ... ]
Because it takes a lot of work to write good optimizing compilers, whether
targeted at real hardware or a virtual machine. People who can do this are
few and far between, and the rest of us just bleat about speed instead of
learning the necessary techniques and rolling our sleeves up.

if-wishes-were-horses-then-beggars-would-ride-ly y'rs  - steve
--
http://www.holdenweb.com/