configure.in syntax to find python binary during build...

Steve Spicklemire steve at spvi.com
Tue Aug 28 10:32:55 EDT 2001

Hi Python Folk,

	I'd like to modify configure.in for building Python on darwin. The
current configure.in uses "-undefined suppress" for generating shared
libs, and this get's a little tricky in later versions of darwin. I
snooped around on the darwin mailing list(s) and someone pointed me in
the direction of "-bundle_loader" which tells ld where to find symbols
that the library needs to have from the loading binary. Anyway.. since I
choose '.exe' as the --with-suffix then my python binary turns out to be
"python.exe" so this works for me in 'configure':

         Darwin/*|next/*)
                 if test "$ns_dyld"
                 then LDSHARED='$(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -bundle -bundle_loader
python.exe'
                 else LDSHARED='$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -nostdlib -r';
                 fi

  However.. someone else might choose a different suffix, and when
building shared modules in other directories I'm thinking that you may
need a full path to the python binary for this to work. Long story
short: How to you spell "Path to the installed binary of python" in
configure.in so that I can modify it for newer versions of darwin?

thanks!
-steve