immutable count and index

Grant Griffin not.this at seebelow.org
Sun Aug 12 18:01:33 EDT 2001

Hi Gang,

Does anybody know why the "count" and "index" methods are available for
mutable, but not immutable, sequences?  (See typesseq.html in the
docs.)  Specifically, although they _are_ supported for strings (in a
more general form than mutable sequences, which allows a start and end
position), they aren't supported for tuples.

I can't say that I use these two much, but as "const" methods, I don't
see any reason why they don't make equal sense for all immutable
sequences.  To me, it looks like the thing to do would be to make the
general more form used by strings available for all sequence types.

python-is-a-gem-in-the-rough-<wink>-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation            http://www.iowegian.com