Compatibility of smtplib with some SMTP server

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Aug 4 14:41:30 EDT 2001

> Dirksen Lau wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm using my campus smtp server to test python's send mail script. It works if the mails are addressed to
> campus accounts, but strangely fails if addressed to outside networks, such as xx at yahoo.com, The mails just
> vanish! Using outlook express, I can send mails to xx at yahoo.com throught the campus smtp server. On the other
> hand, the script works again with xx at yahoo.com if I change to another smtp server. I'm wondering smtplib might
> have some compatibility issues with smtp server? Am I correct? If so, what can I do about it? I'm running
> python 1.5.2 win32 bineray version.

Why not try connecting with telnet to the campus
server and sending basic SMTP commands yourself.
If you can get a message through manually, you'll
know for sure it's just something with the Python
implementation that's your problem.

And in the process, you might discover something
unusual about the campus server which will point
you to the solution...

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com