from __future__ import generators

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Mon Aug 13 19:02:53 EDT 2001

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:

> But note that future statements were intended in the first place to
> avoid *silent* breakage -- where existing code suddenly means
> something different.  This was the case (in some rare situations) with
> nested scopes and is clearly the case with division.

It seems to me that the relevant PEPs are pretty well focused on any
"incompatible" change, whether silent or not, and the use of
__future__ to maintain at least one release of no difference in
behavior, except for warnings.  Certainly PEP 236's intent section
highlights this.  And I think that's good policy.

I'd probably prefer that it not only relate to silent breakage, but if
that's the desired intent, it might also be helpful to clarify the
PEPs.

--
-- David