GUI Python interfaces and DataGrids

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 25 15:30:14 EDT 2001

Maan Hamze <mmhamze at pleiades.net> wrote:
> Unless I am missing something, I have looked and I Tkinter does not seem to
> have a DataGrid to receive the rows of a query (a dataset) and display them
> or to bind it into a dataset.  There is the Python DB API after all.  So I
> believe the issue of Datasets should be standardized across the different
> database packages.
> Now, I believe I have an idea on how to build a class and use it in Python
> that can do exactly this.
> But does Tkinter have a DataGrid?  If not, are there any other GUI Python
> packages that come with a DataGrid?

Not if you mean a ready-made data-aware grid control like Visual Basic
has. You'll have to roll your own. One problem is that Tkinter, to the
best of my knowledge doesn't have a grid control at all. I know that
both wxPython and PyQt have a good grid control, and filling a table
yourself from the results of a query is easy enough, and gives you a
lot of flexibility. In fact, at the last VB shop where I worked, use
of data-aware controls was forbidden: we had to fill the grids
ourselves anyway.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org