Installing module: import error "No module named 'new'"

Sheila King sheila at spamcop.net
Sun Aug 5 14:46:13 EDT 2001

I'm trying to install this Cog module:
http://www.randomly.org/projects/cog/

I'm running Python 2.0 on both my home Window machine and on my Linux
web host's server.

Following the readme instructions
http://www.randomly.org/projects/cog/cog-0.2.README

I decided to run the test.py before installing and got this error
message:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "test.py", line 32, in ?
    import base, db, io, meta, registry
  File "db.py", line 96, in ?
    import base, io
  File "io.py", line 32, in ?
    import cPickle, os, types, new, sys, fcntl
ImportError: No module named new

This has me really puzzled, as the docs for Python 2.0 list the new
module in the Global Module Index, but when I look for that file in both
my Windows machine and on my Linux web host, I do not fine it.

How should I proceed at this point? Why isn't the "new" module available
to me???

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/