Reading Tapes

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Aug 14 09:23:59 EDT 2001

Peter Hansen wrote:

> Mark Rowe wrote:
> >
> > Windows NT: You can use the CreateFile function to open a disk drive or a
> > partition on a disk drive. The function returns a handle to the disk device;
> > that handle can be used with the DeviceIOControl function. The following
> > requirements must be met in order for such a call to succeed:
> >
> > The lpFileName string should be of the form \\.\PHYSICALDRIVEx to open the
> > hard disk x.

[...]
> I wonder whether you've answered the original question, however,
> with the part about "The caller must have administrative privileges
> for the operation to succeed on a hard disk drive." ?

Hmm.. Actually I wonder whether the part about DeviceIOControl
answers it better.  Does that mean you can't do normal reads
and writes, in essence treating the hard drive as a big file?
That's very likely the case, in which case it looks like the
OP read the CreateFile docs above and just assumed it was
possible to read/write directly after opening the drive that
way.

But this probably still has nothing to do with Python, right?

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com