Art of Unit Testing

Peter Milliken peter.milliken at gtech.com
Thu Aug 16 23:38:27 EDT 2001

Well Jesse, might I suggest that the reason you might be in these binds
might lay in the fact that you don't figure what the requirements are before
you code! :-). I haven't (bothered) to read about Extreme Programming -
there is a new buzzword/method every 6-12 months that people flock to hoping
for the proverbial silver bullet for achieving correct software development.
Life is too short to follow all of these fads.

At the end of the day, I have never had any trouble with the standard
approach taught in many software engineering courses i.e. determine the
requirements (which may require some rapid protyping - not all problems can
be well defined up front! :-)), laying down a proper decomposition of the
problem i.e. design and continue the design step until code modules are
easily identified. Then and only then write the code. If you follow these
simple steps, then you can determine (some of) unit test criteria before you
write your code because you have designed what modules are going to be
required! Of course, you won't determine all unit test criteria (only
testing at the interface of the routine level) until you write the code -
since unit test, by definition, involves testing all of the paths through
the code :-)

I have followed this regime for 20+ years of programming now and have never
delivered a flop to the customer. The only time I get into a "bind" is when
I am writing something at a personal level and decide I know enough to go
direct to code - then I get to this stage myself. But retreating backwards
and doing it properly has always solved the issue (and you "relearn" the
value of taking the upfront time to do it properly! :-)).

As for your existing "binds", step back from the code and attempt to
diagram/document the structure of your implementation attempt. Hopefully,
this will show you where your problems lay (usually the pieces just don't
fit together because you didn't decompose them from the top - they grew from
the bottom as individual entities with little or no chance of meeting up
together for a harmonious whole). Producing unit tests for pieces of code
that doesn't fit together will not solve the problem. If you still can't see
the "woods for the trees" then at least you will have something you can show
a friend (who hopefully has enough experience to help you out).

Goodluck,
Peter