Emacs? VIM!

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Wed Aug 8 11:27:59 EDT 2001

"Adam 'Vonlia' Seyfarth" <adam at home.com> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.33.0108080948310.2034-100000 at cc489744-a...
> Hi pythoners,
> You Emacs users, you've been boasting about "X/Emacs's Python
> mode".  First of all, you said you didn't like Vi because it was modal.
> Secondly, Vim has a Python environment.  Ie, with vim you can get syntax
> highlighting for Python, and automatic indenting for Python.  What more

I don't see why you're trying to fire up an editor flamewar
here (isn't comp.editors more appropriate for that?), but,
moreover, you missed the MOST important Vim feature -- you
can *SCRIPT* it in Python (not to slight Emacs Lisp, but,
this IS c.l.python...:-).  Syntax features for Python are a
dime a dozen these days, but I don't think all that many
editors accept Python as their scripting language (you do
have to compile Vim specifically with Python-scripting
enabled, though -- a given pre-built binary might not
have that option selected:-).

> could you want?  (Note:  I love Vim, please don't attack me for slightly
> insulting Emacs, I do know that Emacs has a HUGE amount of useful
> features)

More than just about *any* other single program on the
planet, I suspect (but that won't sway us old vi-lovers,
particularly now that Oualline has a book out specifically
on VIM...!-).

Alex