New Python User Question about Python.

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Thu Aug 23 22:27:06 EDT 2001

Paul Rubin:
>So if
>I'm asking for anything, it's just that those directing the evolution
>of the language keep the thought in mind that Python will be compiled
>some day, and avoid designing things into it that are excessively
>interpreter-dependent.

 - Guido has already said
] I guess I have a bit of a hidden agenda: Python is more dynamic than
] the language I *wanted* to design.  Some of the dynamicism was simply
] a implementation trick.  Some of the dynamicism is getting in the way
] of optimizing code, because the optimizer can never prove that certain
] variables won't be changed.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=cpzo969i4k.fsf%40cj20424-a.reston1.va.h
ome.com&output=gplain
(Uggh! Any way to get short URLs for groups.google links?)

  - There are two major implementations of Python - one in C and
the other in Java.  That helps reduce both interpreter- and
and implementation-dependencies.

So your concerns are, I believe, being kept in mind.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com