[Package] FontTools: a font manipulation library

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Sun Aug 12 21:17:42 EDT 2001

"Chris Gonnerman" <chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net> wrote:

>When my mailserver tries to send mail to the list, it gets this back:
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>... while talking to mail.sourceforge.net.:
><<< 550 rejected: Cannot accept mail from
><chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net> because your server doesn't have a
>postmaster account: Response from newcenturycomputers.net [208.234.11.243]
>was "550 <postmaster at newcenturycomputers.net>... User unknown" when checking
>for existence of a postmaster mailbox. RFC 822 section 6.3 (which you have
>to abide by if you send and receive Email) states that you are required to
>have a postmaster mailbox that is routed to the person responsible for mail
>(http://www.rfc822.com/).  We need to be able to contact you at the
>postmaster address to resolve potential problems if need be before we can
>accept your mail. Please create a postmaster account at your site
>554 <fonttools-discussion at lists.sourceforge.net>... Service unavailable

>Sent to SourceForge:
>
>My ISP services the "postmaster" account via a sendmail alias.

No, it doesn't.

>This is common.  VRFY requests do not return information about the
>account as it isn't an "account" per se.

It's more than that.  The "550" error is coming from a RCPT TO: command,
not from a VRFY.  No, your ISP simply does not have a "postmaster", at
least for that domain.  That violates RFC822.

>I am unable to join any mailing lists (in the sense of sending to them) due
>to the 550 error returned.
>
>I understand why you are doing this, in the sense that you want to ensure
>that you can contact the ISP.  YOU CAN CONTACT THE ISP at the postmaster
>account!  JUST FINE.  But VRFY won't say so.

I was not able to send mail to "postmaster at newcenturycomputers.net".  It
failed with a 550 user unknown.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.