Building Python2.1 - LONG_BIT error message

chris hinds chris at palefish.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 17:44:36 EDT 2001

Martin von Loewis wrote:
 > chris hinds <chris at palefish.co.uk> writes:
 >>
 >>I got exactly the same error trying to build python 2.1.1 on Redhat 7.0
 >>and afaik I've got the latest RH glibc et al. Has anyone had any luck
 >>making on RH7.0?
 >
 > Can you post exactly what glibc version you have? You find out with
 > 'rpm -qa|grep glibc'.

Ah-ha! Somehow I'd managed to get new glibc, but old glibc-devel which
of course is where LONG_BIT was. It all builds like a dream now, many
thanks!

Jim Dennis wrote:
 > It suggests to me that you should dump Red Hat. At least
 > vow to stay way from their (infamous) .0 releases. I personally won't
 > touch any Red Hat until x.2 (and I've used 3.03, 4.2, 5.2, 6.2, and
 > --- unfortunately --- 7.0). I prefer Debian; where Debian's *unstable*
 > has generally been better than Red Hat's .2's

Agreed. I am starting to lean towards Debian (my rpm skills obviously
suck). Next time the box goes offline - rh is for the chop...

Thanks to all,
regards,
Chris.