Python Is Really Middleware

Bengt Richter bokr at accessone.com
Fri Aug 3 19:30:51 EDT 2001

On 03 Aug 2001 20:20:01 GMT, Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote:
[...]

>Yes, the example I cited was well before all this.  I need to go back
>and reread the LGPL.  One area that was not (and still is not, only because
>I have not kept up with it) clear to me is how code generated by
>flex and bison was to be treated since they include GPLed code in the
>output...  I'll get around to looking into this when I need to.

Don't have bison handy for some reason, but no reason to suffer FUD re flex:

>From the "README" file of flex-2_5_4a_tar.gz:

"...
Note that flex is distributed under a copyright very similar to that of
BSD Unix, and not under the GNU General Public License (GPL), except for
the "configure" script, which is covered by the GPL.
... "

and from the "copying" file:

"Flex carries the copyright used for BSD software, slightly modified
because it originated at the Lawrence Berkeley (not Livermore!) Laboratory,
which operates under a contract with the Department of Energy:

	Copyright (c) 1990 The Regents of the University of California.
	All rights reserved.

	This code is derived from software contributed to Berkeley by
	Vern Paxson.

This basically says "do whatever you please with this software except
remove this notice or take advantage of the University's (or the flex
authors') name".

Note that the "flex.skl" scanner skeleton carries no copyright notice.
You are free to do whatever you please with scanners generated using flex;
for them, you are not even bound by the above copyright.
..."