Python + Windows + Webserver

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 11 14:45:51 EDT 2001

[posted and mailed]
"Chris Eidhof" <chris at eidhof.com> wrote in message
news:9l3sdq$5as$1 at cyan.nl.gxn.net...
> Hello, I'm looking for a *simple* way to set up a webserver under win98,
the
> webserver must handle python scripts. I've tried apache, but it didn't
work.

IMHO, the easiest server in the world to set up under win98 is Xitami,
www.xitami.com.  Specifically, you need (this or the equivalent from
any nearer mirror) one self-installer of less than 800KB:
http://users.skynet.be/sky37432/bw3224d9.exe

To run CGI scripts, after installing this to (e.g.) D:\Xitami, just place
the scripts under D:\Xitami\cgi-bin (you have many other possibilities
too, and it's easy to configure them).  If your Python installation
is, e.g., at D:\Python21, just make sure each script starts with:

#!D:\Python21\Python.Exe -u

basically as one would under Unix -- Xitami uses this line to find
the interpreter to be used, just like Unix shells do.

Xitami offers other easy-to-use possibilities (LRWP, its protocol
for long-running web-processes, had R. Dunn as the architect,
and so of course it works great for Python [as well as for other
languages]), but serving CGI, normal static files, SSI (via, sigh,
a Perl filter:-), PHP 3 (I'm told -- haven't tried it), is a snap.

Alex