dynamic naming for hierarchical problem

Jeremy Jones dnjjones at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 21:16:48 EDT 2001

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message
news:3B71D7E2.7EEAF170 at engcorp.com...
> Jeremy Jones wrote:
>
> I don't think I got a clear enough idea from your
> posting to know what it is you really want (i.e.
> you could describe what *purpose* you have in mind,
> rather than describing a set of features you think
> you need).

I have a web application that I need to test by HTTP posting different sets
of data to it.  The hierarchical data model that I want to create will allow
me to create different sets of tests each containing different sequences of
data to post to the server and store the results of the test.  I want to be
able to navigate through this hierarchical set of data using Tix.Tree.
(Plus, it will be fun and cool and really geeky! :-)

> Nevertheless, a lot of what you refer to above
> seems to be provided by the Document Object Model
> (DOM) concept available effectively universally
> for in-memory manipulation of XML data.  Since
> XML (at least in a DOM) seems to provide the
> basic features you describe above, maybe it could
> in some way help you...  ??

I will have to check out DOM tomorrow and see if it will help or not.  I
have never messed around with XML, but I had actually thought about defining
my tests in XML (another fun, cool, geeky thing to do) and parsing it with
Python.  Is it fairly straightforward to keep the hierarchical structure of
an XML/DOM document so that you can navigate down it (particularly in this
instance - using a Tree widget)?

Jeremy Jones