Python on riscos

Simon Callan simon at callan.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 14:19:29 EDT 2001

In message <4aaca91302jcg at argonet.co.uk>
          Mr  J C Greenwood <jcg at argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> I want to run a programme, ITS-0/0, which I have downloaded from
> www.maitint. org.
>
> It uses Python, so I downloaded several archives from
> www.schwertberger.dusnet.de/python.html including !Python, !NumPy
> and a directory wimpy. I'm not sure what does what.
>
> If I double-click on !Python I get a message:
>
> 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
> Python 2.1 (#12, Apr 18 2001, 20:59:37) [C] on RISCOS
> >>>

> What do I need to do to run ITS-0/0?
>
> I have a RiscPC 600 with a Strong ARM and RISCOS 4.02

Ignoring the other messages about RISC-OS python not supporting TK,
there are two ways to get a python program running on RISC-OS.

1) Set the type of the file containing the main entry point to Python,
and simply doubly click on the file.

2) Put the program into a standard application directory (ie.
!<something>), and create a !run file containing something like:

Python <Obey$dir>.!RunImage

Simon

--
http://www.callan.demon.co.uk/simon/